Saturday, February 28, 2009

Home, Slevin, and the auto-playlist

This post was in my "drafts" folder, like 15 others, but I've decided that my blog should be consistent with my general effort to make 2009 a "result-oriented" year for me.. Therefore I'll unearth today this post started on Feb, 28th 2009. It's still more or less accurate.
In the last couple of days, a number of random events made me think about home.


First, a post on Meebo's blog. Meebo is a great online instant-messaging (IM) platform, which you should totally check out if, like me, you prefer to access everything online than to install some more software. Second, the movie « Garden State », which I just watched again, as I stumbled upon it in my dvd stack.


It's a really good movie (Zach Braff is directing, it's his first movie, you probably know him more as the young doctor named « J.D » in the series « SCRUBS »), and I liked it even more as I watched it this second time. A 26-year-old comes back from L.A. to his hometown, somewhere lost in the middle of the U.S., for family reasons an meets again with his high school friends, his parents;meets someone new, too. All his old friends have stayed exactly where they were; not really going anywhere. They are not dreaming so big, definitely not bigger than the size of the town they were born in. Having been outside for 9 years, he left a teenager and comes back a grown-up. He wonders where he belongs, and what to do with that birthplace where his former life is, but to which he cannot go back.


True fact about the movie: the soundtrack is absolutely amazing (Coldplay, back in the days they weren't even so famous; Remy Zero; the Shins; Colin Hay; Simon & garfunkel; Thievery corporation; etc etc.) And because there is no reason why should struggle to find it,it is probably the music you have been listening to since you entered this page. It's autoplay, and shuffled, for a seamless and ever-renewed blog experience!! Powered by deezer,
but I'm definitely looking into Jiwa soon, as a lot of my "reference people" as regards music tell me it's quite better.

Home is where your relatives are. Home is where you come from. Home is where you will spend the rest of your life. Home is where you spent the most time (can an office be a home?). Home is where you feel safe. And although Josh Hartnet teaches us otherwise in the excellent motion picture "Lucky Number Slevin" (that link is in French), i'm going to use a word i'm trying to define in its own definition: for me, "home is where you feel 'at home' ". Somewhere you belong, somehow.
I recently moved in with 3 exceptional individuals, we are sharing a large flat in one of the most amazing cities of the world, but it could be anywhere else on the planet I guess, the feeling would be the same. I miss my previous home. The more connections I create here, the less I will miss the past. I suppose.
It's hard to say whether I'll ever feel 'at home' enough to actually settle, and never move out again. I know some of you people reading this are asking yourself the same question. But if I keep my definition, home is just a safe environment and the meaningful relations... then my home will always be traveling with me, around me, or at least stay within reach of an email of a phone call.

When was the last time you felt at home? and when was the last time you felt that you could be at home anywhere?

good night world

No comments:

Post a Comment